Skip to content

Arena facts about Gamla Ullevi

A bicycle velodrome was built in the late 19th century on the site where Gamla Ullevi stands today. Sweden’s first international football match was played at the velodrome in June 1908 against Norway. Sweden won 11–3!

In 1915, construction started of a football stadium, designed by architect Karl M Bengtsson. The stadium was completed in 1916, and its original name was Ullervi Fotbollsbana. The old stadium’s attendance record was achieved in 1957, when approximately 32,000 spectators watched the division 2 match between ÖIS and Elfsborg at Gamla Ullevi.

In June 2005, the municipal company Higabgruppen was contracted to plan, construct, own and manager Gothenburg’s new football stadium. Demolition of the old stadium began in 2007 to make way for the new stadium on the same site. In October 2008, the Municipal Executive Board decided that the new stadium would have the same name as the old one: Gamla Ullevi.

Attendance record

  • Football (women’s), Sweden–Germany, semi-final Euro 2013, 24 July, 2013, 16,608
  • Football (men’s), IFK Göteborg–Djurgården, 11 April 2009, 18,276


  • Architect: Lars Iwdal, Arktitektbyrån
  • Developer: Higabgruppen
  • Spectator capacity: 18,454 (some standing) 16,603 (all seated)
  • Pitch dimensions: 105 x 68 metres
  • Skyboxes: 23
  • Restaurants: 2
  • Kiosks: 17
  • Commercial space for rental: around 2,500 sq. m
  • First match played: 5 April 2009
  • Inauguration of national stadium for women’s football: 25 April 2009

Arena Partners Gamla Ullevi